Monday, November 3, 2008

Energy Project

I live in a small town and driving is expensive so I did an experiment to calculate how much time and money I'd save by riding my bike everywhere in a 2 mile radius. The full presentation and results can be found by clicking here.

About my experiment:
I have an inexpensive car, drive very little, have cheap insurance, and work on my own car. I also pedal fast and the price of gas was based upon a rate of $4.39 per gallon.


My findings

I traveled an average of 50 miles per week and 23% of my miles were outside of a 2 mile radius. This means that I can use my bike for most of my transportation. (I base my final figures on my lifestyle and a complete and detailed power point presentation math can be found by clicking here.

My calculations:

  • my car costs about $2700 per year to operate.
  • Riding my bike costs me about $350 per year.
  • The time spent commuting on a bike and in a car is almost equal.
  • Biking is more economical and equals a savings of about $8.50 per hour.


For raw data and figures, click here. You can watch me give this presentation by clicking here.

No comments: